Sunday, September 9, 2007

Trying to straighten out nofollow.

After reading Dan Thies on nofollow, I decided to take inventory of my internal link structure and try and optimize it. Not that I did not do anything along these lines before, but all the efforts were impulsive and uncoordinated.

For example, I ended up having link to contact and privacy pages only from my homepage. And those links are nofollowed at the same time. Does not really make any sense. You either keep those links only on homepage, or have them on all pages and nofollow. And the second solution is much better than the first one.

Now I'm going to try it more systematically. Using the same example as above, I will return those links to all the pages. This will make user experience better. And I will label them nofollow. This will keep my page rank from leaking to the pages I don't want to rank for.

And my more important pages should receive a bit more PR love. I don't think it alone will boost my rankings, but every bit counts. And better rankings = more traffic = more Adsense.

No comments: