Sunday, September 16, 2007

Record Adsense CPM again. Peel away ads don't work. First page ranking.

Coming back to Adsense, I had a record CPM yesterday. I want to brag about it so much - but I really can't cause I can't disclose the number according to Google Adsense TOS. Trust me, this is the number everyone in the industry would be happy to have.

Peel away is not that good as expected. 0.26% CTR and zero conversions hardly qualify for shooting through the roof :(. Text ads for the same advertiser on the same page have CTR up to 1.18%, and conversion rate up to 6.25% currently. Since I already bought the stuff, and it uses the place otherwise not used, I leave it there for now. I might play with other advertisers and see if it gets any better. Anyway, my main income on that site comes from Adsense, not affiliates.

First page position for the very competitive keyword I was mentioning before. At that time it showed 90,000,000 competitors, this time it is showing 57,000,000. Still very impressive. Well, since I'm already ranking for it (for some reason I did not include it in my initial keyword strategy), I might as well take several steps to rank better. I'm changing the title to include it, and going to target it in my next article submission. This might or might not knock my current main keyword down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peel Ads Do Work, however... only if you use specific graphics and test those (nothing exciting blinking and other texts besides "click here"). I run many sites and while peel ads are actually NOTHING new (they have been around for adult sites for example for many years and achieve always attention), they are not the holy grail but can give people a kick to take action (like if you hide a discount to own products you sell). Anyway, always look how many tests you did perform, before you blame something not working :-)

Joshua Nestor said...

I like your Moritz Semmy :)

Sure, they work. To some extent.

Actually, for me this was something new (even though I can't say I never visited an adult site :)).

Anyway, I just stumbled upon them somewhere and liked the "cool" look, and the very next day one of the millions subscription emails I receive had a link to the publisher. Somehow the "coolness" made me thinking all those marketing claims about "going through the roof" are at least close to reality, and I went ahead and bought it.

Well, you know the results. I can't say I did an extensive testing, but I figured getting something flashing in the corner should increase CTR. It did. From 0.2% to 0.25% LOL. And it did create annoyance, too. Same affiliate text ads on the same page get several times more CTR, let alone adsense with its really targeted ads...

To make thing short - they do work, but all other types of ads I'm using work better. Means they don't work for me. And BTW I'm going to remove the flashing and come back to unanimated pic. Flashing is too annoying, just not worth it.

Regards, Joshua