Sunday, September 16, 2007

Transferring all available link love to Adsense pages.

After some serious consideration decided to cut off all the internal links to the homepage using nofollow. It's kinda scary, but I figured out I should survive :). The reasoning under this decision is pretty simple. After internal links reorganizing I have three pages receiving almost all link love from the whole site: homepage and two money-making Adsense pages. If I cut off the homepage, these two pages should receive one and a half times more link juice.

Will it improve Adsense pages rankings? This is the goal. Will it hurt homepage ranking? I bet it will. How much? I have no idea. Since 95% of money are currently made on one Adsense page, and I'm currently promoting the second one that should become better money-maker, I guess homepage ranking is not that important from the income point of view.

Information sharing is a different story. At the first glance it should suffer if I get less traffic to the homepage. Well, consider this: if I manage to double the traffic on my Adsense pages (what moving from 5th to 3rd place on Google for a couple of key keywords can easily do), how many people will wander to explore the rest of the site? My guesstimate is much more than I lose on homepage. I'm going for it.

No comments: